What’s the Difference Between an Independent Publishing Consultant and a Book Publicist?
It’s an excellent question and an important distinction.
I recently attended a free webinar presented by Michelle Kulp, founder of BestSellingAuthorProgram.com, with whom I have an affiliation. Before I describe what I learned about book publicity, let me share what I do.
My all-inclusive packages offer (at a minimum):
- Professional Editing (a $1,000+ value)
- Customized, Original Book Cover Design
- ISBN (International Book Standard Number) Assignment
- LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number)
- Formatting for Paperback
- Formatting for Kindle/eBook
- Personalized Keyword Book Description Back Cover
- KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) Setup
- Amazon Author Page Setup
- Retail Pricing Consultation
- Author Keeps Ownership of Book
- Author Keeps 100% of Royalties
- Volume Discounts
- Worldwide Distribution
In essence, I provide the professional services every author needs to begin with an excellent foundation — a properly edited, formatted, and published book. When I published the first edition of Water Signs in 2008, I didn’t know what I didn’t know about indie publishing. Once I understood all of the important pieces, I wanted to make the indie publishing process as simple as possible for my clients, which is why I created all-inclusive packages. If you choose to work with me, you’ll receive everything you need to produce a quality book in both paperback and eBook.
If you have a concept, but no time or inclination to write, I provide ghostwriting services.
For books with multiple authors (two or more), I work on a case-by-case basis to arrive at a fair price. Such projects require more time because I’m collaborating with multiple contributors.
In terms of compensation, I’m happy to discuss payment plans with individual clients, if requested but please note, with the cost of services built in to the packages, opting for a payment plan may delay the timeline. However, we can discuss everything over the phone or in person to arrive at an option that works well for everyone involved.
It’s a full-time job, providing these services with professionalism and efficiency, one I take seriously even as I do my best to make the process enjoyable.
But writing a book is only the beginning. Once you “publish with a strong foundation,” to use Michelle Kulp’s language, the work of publicity begins.
Book publicity is a full-time effort in itself. It requires knowledge and expertise that go far beyond the services I described above, which is why I’m excited to affiliate with Michelle.
- It Makes You Stand Out from the Crowd
- It Makes You an Instant Expert
- It Helps You Attract More Clients and Leads
- It Helps You Spread Your Ideas and Your Message
- It Helps You Build a 6+ Figure Business
So the question becomes, how do you stand out with all of the books on Amazon? This is a HUGE problem right now because, as Michelle states, “saturation causes noise.”
The way you become an expert, then, is by having a #1 Bestselling Book. This will yield:
- MORE Influence and Impact Worldwide
- MORE Income (many ways to generate it via your book)
- MORE Independence (time and freedom)
Sounds great, right?
But there is a catch. It is not enough to write and publish a professional book; you must have a SYSTEM in place to ensure your audience can find it. Michelle notes that some common mistakes authors make include:
- No Email List
- No Positioning
- No Calls to Action
- No Products or Services to Sell
- No Website
- No Long-term Plan
But even if you do have ALL or SOME of these, without an effective system, you cannot become an Amazon Bestseller. Michelle has created a proven system in 3 steps:
- Design Your Path to Profit
- Publish Your Book on Top of a Strong Foundation
- Promote to a Large Audience with a Hollywood-style Book Launch
I can help with #2. However, if you want to take advantage of Amazon’s “most powerful marketing system” by becoming an Amazon Bestselling Author, I highly recommend contacting Michelle Kulp at BestSellingAuthorProgram.com, where you can read her clients’ testimonials and schedule your own strategy call.
Ready to talk about your unique book project? Contact me here.